What Is TMJ/TMD Therapy?
TMJ disorders can cause debilitating pain and make it difficult for you to chew, talk, or yawn. To treat these disorders, our Dentist Altamonte Springs, FL may recommend TMJ/TMD therapy using:
- Splints, mouth guards, and bite plates: These are custom-fabricated oral appliances that are used to reduce the stress applied to the TMJ and relax the tissues around the joint.
- Stress management: These techniques are used to reduce the stress applied to the TMJ, thus preventing TMD.
- Relaxation techniques: These are suggestions provided by the dentist that help relax the TMJ and the muscles around it.
- Lifestyle changes: Certain lifestyle changes, such as changing the sleeping posture, avoiding holding the phone between the cheek and shoulder, etc., can help treat TMD.
- Medication: The dentist may also recommend medications to relieve the pain in the muscles of the face surrounding the TMJ.
To find out more about the dental services we offer at Distinctive Dental on Maitland, call (407) 830-9800 or schedule your consultation online. You can also visit us at 609 Maitland Ave STE 1, Altamonte Springs, FL 32701.